How to activate a personal hotspot on prepaid

How to activate a personal hotspot on prepaid with an iPhone 4S
Posted from Facebook
Message 1 of 10 (7,207 Views)
0 Kudos
Zoe

Re: How to activate a personal hotspot on prepaid

Hi Daniel,

Good question, though at the moment we don’t offer Hotspot on Prepaid mobile phone plans, so there wouldn’t be any way to activate it.

You can however check out our BYO Postpaid plans, which would allow Hotspot and there’s no commitment needed for the BYO plans, so you don’t have to worry about being locked into a plan!

Thanks

Zoe

Message 2 of 10 (7,184 Views)
0 Kudos
poombah

You left out the part where Virgin Mobile intenionally BLOCK tethering/personal hotspot for iPhone.

My phone had functional tethering until the Virgin prepaid sim went in. Pull sim out and put a standard optus one back in and it works again... strange?

You can get around this using another type of phone - my samsung galaxy s has no issues tethering with Virign prepaid as they are not able to block this.

Frustrating as when I am away from home I have to swap phones so I can use it for internet access on my laptop - if I had known this before moving to Virgin mobile I might have stayed with optus instead.

Poor form guys - You go so far as to block a service but leave no option to unblock?   You resell Optus - they don't block the same feature?

Message 3 of 10 (7,071 Views)
Honoured Member
michyb79

Yes, a TOTAL SCAM! And note that the call charges are slightly more expensive for the same plan on Virgin Postpaid to prepaid. How does Virgin have a right to block this on prepaid??What sense does it make? It's a funciton on my iphone which I own outright, and its data that I have paid for up front with my money. I am taking this one further. I dont think that consumer law would actually think this is ok.

Message 4 of 10 (5,375 Views)
0 Kudos
Occasional Visitor
landdownunder

This was also just news to me.... couldn't find it anywhere on the prepaid plan details and stumbled across it in this forum. Good thing is that it prompted me to check the other options - I'm off to K O G A N at the end of month!
Message 5 of 10 (5,191 Views)
0 Kudos
Leader
davidt67

I have just been through this with Virgin Customer Service rep's over the weekend and again today.  I suspect the provider is deliberately blocking this functionality as a way of "migrating" cash paying (we owe you nothing) customers over to account holder (we are in your debt) customers.  If this is the case, I will be leaving Virgin.  

It may also be that Virgin can't determine when we have reached our data limits quickly enough (the web usage reports customers see say there may be 24-48 hr reporting delays).  Therefore, they can't accurately charge for all the data we could use in that last period.  Hence creating a loss when they still have to pay Optus.  Who knows... and ultimately, who cares.  They need to fix it as its wrong either way.

None of this was made clear up front some 6 months ago when I started using Virgin, and I am annoyed that I have not been able to use my included data by using my phone as a hub/hot spot.  As a result, I will be making more enquiries both with Virgin and across the industry.  Perhaps then I will also need to see what the Telco Ombudsman and Consumer Affairs have to say about it all. 

None of it sounds legitimate... and all of it is out of character for Virgin as a business.  I have only ever had very good service and a fair, simple, honest approach to the service provider/customer relationship with Virgin.  I hope none of the suspicions above are accurate, it would be disappointing to lose faith in what to date has been a great Service Provider to me and my family.

Message 6 of 10 (4,498 Views)
0 Kudos
Leader
davidt67

This problem is NOT solved.  

Admit the situation is a scam/farce and tell users if and when the hotspot service will be made available.

If never, admit it so we can find provider(s) with REAL solution(s).

Whatever happened to the good old open and honest Virgin CS approach?

Message 7 of 10 (4,147 Views)
0 Kudos
Nikki

At this stage we don't have the capacity to allow Prepaid Hotspot activation David.

However we are aware of the fact that customers really want to be able to use this feature and are hoping that it will be available in the near future.

Message 8 of 10 (4,130 Views)
0 Kudos
Tripytaka

I just spoke to Virgin Mobile customer service. The operator confirmed they still prevent tethering and personal hotspot on prepaid. As soon as my credit runs out I will be switching to a competitor that does allow it. Great way to loose customers Virgin. Likelihood of me using Virgin Mobile ever again? ZERO! Likelihood of telling people about this problem with Virgin Mobile? 100% guaranteed!
Message 9 of 10 (1,902 Views)
0 Kudos
Occasional Visitor
Udon

I just moved to Australia this month and decided to go with Virgin as I felt the deals were pretty good. I had no idea why my hotspot wasn't working, called customer support and have received the news that prepaid does not offer this service.
Virgin needs to sort this out as they have just lost another customer. I'll be changing providers at the end of the month.
Message 10 of 10 (1,662 Views)
0 Kudos