Leader
bvamp2000

faulty samsung galaxy s2 and crappy customer service

i have written this to a customer service person but am also posting a copy in the forum as a warning to others  regarding the lies and runaround you can expect from Virgin.......

I purchased a samsung galaxy s2 mobile and internet plan on 18/02 with virgin and within 2 weeks my phone had turned itself off 8 times. i took the phone back to the Helensvale branch where i bought it and was told it was a fault with the phone and lots of them have been returned and was told to bring in the hardwear with the phone so it could be sent away and assessed then it would be replaced with a new one. i did this and 5 days later returned to Helensvale to see what the update was as i don't have a phone. (I wan't willing to pay $50 for a loan phone and they didn't have any available anyway).  i was told by the staff i would need to bring in the box the phone came in. when i said i had thrown it out i was told i have voided my warrenty and  the only thiing that could be done now was the phone would be sent away for repair and this would take 2 weeks. as you can imagine i became upset over a box and the staff member began walking away from me.... i didn't raise my voice. He clearly just didn't want to deal with me as there were other potential NEW customers waiting.... i just wanted a working phone as it is a safety issue at work and I travel over an hour to work and need it for my own safety. I also need it to be called by oncall at work for any extra work, which i do on a regular basis.... i then rang customer care on a friends phone and after 15 mins being pratronized and placated to was told the exact same thing.... nothing could be done without the box. She did say customer care could call me and they would absolutly be able to help me. i pointed out I DO NOT HAVE A PHONE so they couldn't call me and i asked for their number to ring them directly..... she said. "I don't have that".... wow. this was a real shock as she had just been on the phone to them herself to supposedly discuss my issue. Yet another lie.

I have spent the whole weekend being so angry and frustrated as a brand new virgin customer i'm regretting joining up and should have stayed with optus, who i've been with for over 10 years and have never had an issue. I am really angry that virgin knew the samsung was faulty and not only sold it to me without proper warning, but pushed the phone in the sales pitch. Now i get an email saying the phone is being assessed for repair..... How can it be repaired if it's a manufacturing fault with the phone..... after re reading the warranty the wording is...."Wherever possible the phone should be returned in its original carton and packaging or alternativly in packaging suitable to prevent damage to the product...." it wasn't possible....so i handed it directly to the staff at Helensvale.... i hope they didn't throw it on the ground and stomp on it...... wouldn't matter though..... i have a 2 week old product with no warranty. be warned.......

Message 1 of 9 (617 Views)
0 Kudos
Senior Leader
sgrurru

Re: faulty samsung galaxy s2 and crappy customer service

hi there,

i went trough the exact same frustrating process as you over the christmas period.ended up nearly 3 weeks without my phone and then it got sent back by samsung saying that the phone has no defect.i was absolutely furious as my phone was shutting down on daily basis.turns out that a update to jelly bean seems to solve the whole issue.

did not have a single shutdown since the update.makes you wonder but,why would samsung supply a update for the 3rd time to a "outdated phone" unless they are well aware of the global issues with the ICS os on there phones creating havoc.fact is most s2 users are probably still on gingerbread os wich was stable,and never upgraded to ICS.

my phone came updated out of the box with ICS,although on the box it clearly stated gingerbread as operating system.i think samsung is well aware of this issue,explains why they tell you there is nothing wrong with the phone,as they are right it clearly seems to be a software issue related to ICS which on the otherhand has been passed on to the costumer by samsung itself.

long story short,either update to jelly bean as soon as you can if you got shutdown issues,or backdate it to gingerbread which was the last stable os for samsung.

virgtin has the option not selling the phone anymore till they come with stable os out fo the box,otherwise there is nothing they can do as samsung is calling the shots for replacements

Message 2 of 9 (600 Views)
0 Kudos
Leader
bvamp2000

Howdy, thanks for the reply...... so where do i get these updates when i eventually get my phone back. Is there a special site??? thanks.... not sure why the virgin staff didn't tell me and other customers this when buying the phone. it would save so many dilemas and issues.... not to mention irrate customers.

Message 3 of 9 (592 Views)
0 Kudos
Senior Leader
sgrurru

@bvamp 2000
I posted the link in the post for 4.1.2 jelly bean???
Message 4 of 9 (570 Views)
0 Kudos
Zoe

Hi bvamp200, we've replied to another post you made regarding your phone probs over here - have you had a chance to check it out?

Really not good to read of the experience you had in store - it's definitely not what we want to hear & not the kind of awesome experience our customers expect :smileysad: We're going to pass on this feedback you have provided so thank you for letting us know!

You should be able to have your phone checked out under warranty, even if you don't have the box it came in originally. If you're still having trouble with this let us know so we can help further - Zoe

Message 5 of 9 (554 Views)
0 Kudos
Leader
bvamp2000

Re: faulty Samsung galaxy s2 and crappy customer service

Howdy Zoe.... My phone was checked out and today I found it had passed and there was no fault found with the phone..... So why did everyone from the virgin sales staff to your own customer help people tell me my problem was a known manufacturing fault with the phone and a lot of phones had been returned with the same fault and why did the sales person put a bit of cardboard in the battery area to stop the battery moving and thus try to stop the fault with the phone...which wa,s it was turning itself off all the time.... I was told today that my 1 month warranty ends in 4 days and I have asked for the phone to be re looked at......which will then take me over my one month warranty..Thus I will not have a way of getting a replacement phone, which I should be entitled to as virgin knowingly sold me a faulty product..... I am absolutely beyond pissed off with the continuing bad service from virgin...... My phone was faulty to start with and has been in repair for over 1/2 the time of the 1 month warranty. The only thing left for me to do is contact the telecommunications ombudsman as i feel this is now a breach of your contract with me to provide a working phone. Also please don't reply to my concerns with a emoticon..... I'm an adult who has worked  for almost 30 years. I'm NOT a teenager or your friend. I'm a complaining customer who has had nothing but lies and dead ends from virgin and i found you cavalier approach to my complaint very insulting.

Message 6 of 9 (520 Views)
0 Kudos
Zoe

Hmm, seems a bit strange. You should have a 24 month warranty on your phone as long as it was purchased after 1st Jan 2011, so unsure what the one month warranty you're referring to is for.

Can you confirm if you're still having problems with the phone after having it checked out? If you are let us know so we can grab your info and help you get this sorted out.

Thanks

Zoe

Message 7 of 9 (492 Views)
0 Kudos
Leader
bvamp2000

Thank you for that Zoe. All I was told by the sales staff when I spoke to her about picking up my phone or having it sent back in for another evaluation is that my 1 month is up on the 18th and i would no longer be able to get a replacement phone. virgin would just keep 'repairing' the handset i was given and then returning it to me. I'm hoping to get my phone back sometime this week so if it does the same thing I will be contacting virgin again and will let you know. thanks

Message 8 of 9 (479 Views)
0 Kudos
Zoe

Thanks for clarifying that! Let us know how you go with the phone & repair & if you need a hand with it in the future we'd be more than happy to help you out!

Thanks

Zoe

Message 9 of 9 (420 Views)
0 Kudos