Am I eligible to gift data?

All active Postpaid Mobile customers are able to gift data.

How does it work?

Gifting data is easy. 

1. Log into My Account or the new My Account Postpaid App (download the new App here: Apple | Android)
  2. In the App, tap on the menu button at the top left, in My Account click the Services tab
  3. Click Data Gifting
  4. Choose the amount you want to gift
  5. Click Next
  6. Enter the name and mobile phone number of the person you want to gift data to
  7. Click Next
  8. Read and accept the fine print
  9. Hit Send Data Gift

The recipient will receive an SMS from you letting them know that data has been added to their service.

Who can I gift data to?

You can share your spare data with any other Virgin Mobile customer on a Postpaid mobile plan and even to other mobile services linked to your own Virgin Mobile account. 

Do I need the new My Account Postpaid App to gift data?

Yes, you need to download the new My Account Postpaid app to share your spare data, and to see the data that your friends and family have shared with you. Don't forget you can still gift data via your My Account dashboard if needed!

Why have you produced a new app?

We’ve rebuilt the My Account Postpaid App from the ground up to improve the user experience, added some cool new features like Data Gifting and made sure there’s some room left for the future. You can find out more about the new My Account Postpaid app by clicking here.

The new My Account Postpaid app is only compatible with Postpaid mobile services, so if you’re using a Prepaid service you should continue to use the existing My Account app.

How will my gifted data be used?

Gifted data will be used once included plan data, bonus data or any Data Packs have been exhausted, and can rollover if the receiver is on a Data Rollover plan.

Will my gifted data rollover?

It sure will if you are on a Data Rollover plan.

Is there an expiry date on the gifted data that I receive?

Gifted data will expire at the end of the recipient’s bill cycle. For example, if your bill cycle finishes on the 6th of each month and you received a gift on the 1st, you have 5 days to use it or lose it, unless you’re on a on a plan with Data Rollover.

For customers on a Data Rollover plan, gifted data will rollover to your next bill cycle.

What type of data can I gift?

It doesn’t matter whether it’s bonus data, promotional data or even rollover, you can gift any data available on your service.

Is there a limit to the amount of data I can gift?

There are no limits to the amount you can gift, you can share as much or as little as you’d like.  We’ll let you know when your gift will leave you with 250MB or less to help you better manage your data usage.

Remember to only gift within your means as you will incur extra data charges if you run out of data on your service before the end of your bill cycle.

Is there a limit to the amount of data that I can receive?

Nope, there are no limits. 

Can I gift data to a Broadband or Prepaid service?

No. You can only Data Gift to Virgin Postpaid Mobile customers.

How can I keep track of how much data I’ve gifted?

Keep track of how much data you have gifted through the Transaction History table in My Account.

Transaction_history1.PNG

How can I keep track of how much data I've received?

You can keep an eye on any received data in the Transaction History table in My Account or the Data Rewards section of the new My Account Postpaid App (download the new App here: Apple | Android).

Can I decline a gift?

Gifts cannot be declined. If you don’t need additional data you could consider re-gifting to another friend in data need.

I’ve tried to gift data but received an error message. What should I do?

Take a look at the error messages below to work out what went wrong:

'Something went wrong. Mobile Number is Invalid / Not active'

Confirm that the recipient:

'Recipient’s name is too long / invalid characters / invalid name'

Confirm that you’ve entered the correct details:

Register or log in to leave a comment.