If you discover a problem or fault with your device you may be able to have it repaired under warranty.
Warranty periods vary by device;
All phones supplied by Virgin Mobile on 24 month Postpaid plans come with a 24-Month Warranty.
Prepaid devices and broadband modems come with a 12 month warranty, unless stated otherwise by the manufacturer.
Accessory warranties may vary and you can refer to the info that came in the original packaging.
Dead On Arrival/Early Life Failure
If your device is faulty within 30 days of purchase it may be deemed to be DOA (Dead On Arrival) or ELF (Early Life Failure). DOA/ELF issues should be referred back to the place of purchase (either nearest store or contact us if purchased direct).
Please note: Apple iPhones have 24 hours from the sale date to quality for DOA/ELF .
If the device is confirmed to be DOA/ELF after inspection by our technicians, Virgin Mobile can issue a brand new device.
After 30 days, the manufacturer's warranty will apply with a repair to your existing device or sending a refurbished device if applicable. Warranty for Virgin Mobile Customers can be processed in store and over the phone with us (it doesn’t have to be the same place you got it).
Warranty and Repairs
We only support the use of official firmware on your device, issued by the manufacturer. Any installation of custom software may void your warranty.
Before submitting your device for repair, remove your SIM card and any working memory cards. Ensure that you prepare the following:
The faulty device or accessory
Your proof of purchase; original receipt showing the purchase date, device IMEI number and model.
To request the repair of your device, simply contact us.
We will organise for your device to be sent away, answer any questions you may have and contact you when your device is ready for pick up.
Repairing an iPhone running iOS 7 or above? Please disable the Find My iPhone feature that requires an Apple ID to restore the device. If you leave it active it may prevent technicians from being able to fix any issues.
Repairs are normally completed within 5-7 business days upon the repair centre receiving your device. The timeframe for a repair will depend on the type of handset and the type of issue. Repairs for suspected battery faults can take up to 15 business days as these phones must be returned via road transport.
Once submitted, you can track the status of your repair on www.vmareturns.com.au at any time.
Did you know that approximately 20% of repair requests we receive were rectified by trying the following 3 steps?
1. Perform a backup of your contacts, photos, media etc.
2. Confirm your device has the latest version of its operating system and update if required
3. Perform a 'Factory Reset' or 'Restore' of your mobile device
Restore Factory Default Settings on iPhone
1. Tap Settings 2. Tap General 3. Tap Reset 4. Tap Erase All Content and Settings 5. Tap Erase iPhone 6. Tap Erase iPhone to confirm
Restore Factory Default Settings on Android
1. Tap Settings 2. Tap Backup & reset 3. Tap Factory data reset 4. Tap Reset device 5. Tap Erase everything
Restore Factory Default Settings on Windows Phone
1. Tap Settings 2. Tap about 3. Tap reset your phone 4. Tap yes to accept 5. Tap yes to confirm
If you've lost, misplaced or had your phone stolen, contact us so we can bar your SIM and block your phone. If your phone is lost or stolen outside of our opening hours, please contact us first thing the following day to ensure barring is applied to your SIM. If you’re able to lock or disable your device remotely, we recommend you do this ASAP to help prevent unwanted usage.
Barring the SIM card
We will need to bar your SIM so no one can use it to run up charges. If you do find your SIM card, we can remove the restrictions! You are liable for all charges incurred on your SIM card/service up to the time you report it as lost or stolen to us.
Blocking your phone
We can use your IMEI to block your phone within 48 hours, though Emergency Services (000 and 112) will still be available.
If you find your phone or have it returned to you, contact us and we can remove the block within 48 hours.
There's no charge to have your SIM or mobile blocked. If you need a new SIM, you can contact us and we can send you a new one at no cost. We will swap your number to the new SIM, but it will not have any of your stored information or content.
Things to consider
Barring your SIM or blocking your phone, will not cancel a commitment you have with Virgin Mobile.
You will still be charged your minimum monthly spend (and any extra fees) for the remainder of your commitment.
Generally, Virgin Mobile devices are not network locked. But if you encounter issues using a different provider's SIM in your device, here's what you should do;
Confirm if the device is network locked
1. Turn your phone/modem off – disconnect from any cables
2. Remove your Virgin SIM Card
3. Insert a non-Virgin Mobile SIM Card
4. Turn your phone/modem on
5. Your phone/modem will indicate if it is network locked.
Some common Network Locked errors are:
Enter Network Key
Unable to connect to network
Network retrieval Error
Network Control Key
Request an unlock code
Contact us with the following details on hand:
1. Phone/modem Manufacturer and Model
2. Phone/modem IMEI Number: example – 350121212121211212
If you remove the battery and look on the base/back of the phone, you can find the IMEI there and it should begin with '35'.
Or from the dial pad/dial screen type *#06#
Unlock your phone
The team will provide you with a network unlock code and the steps to enter this code into your device. Once the code is entered, it can take from 15 minutes to 48 hours for your device to completely unlock.
In the rare case that the network unlock code for your device is unavailable, it may take up to 5 business day for your code to be retrieved from the manufacturer.
Looking to cancel your mobile service? We have all the info you need below.
Your mobile number
You will need to decide whether you want to keep your mobile number or not.
I want to keep my mobile number Transferring your mobile number to another carrier will automatically cancel your Virgin Mobile service. You will need to approach another provider and advise you wish to port your number from Virgin Mobile and they will organise this for you.
I do not need my mobile number Cancelling your number means the number will be put into quarantine and cannot be retrieved or reactivated, and cannot be transferred to another provider.
How much will cancelling cost
If you are cancelling a prepaid service then any credit remaining on the service is forfeited.
Your last invoice will contain pro-rata charges if cancellation occurs outside of your Billing-Cycle date.
If you are still under contract then you will incur a phone payout for the remaining cost of the phone.
If you have more than one service on your account, the final charges will be applied only to the service you have cancelled. The other service/s that are still active will be billed as usual.
Your final bill will have charges up to the day the service is active, which means the plan and included value will be pro-rated. For example, if you are on a $50 Plan with $500 included value and cancel exactly half way through your bill cycle, you will pay $25 for your plan and receive $250 of included value. You can view your final bill by logging in to My Account.
How to cancel
Contact us to organise the cancellation of your service.
If you have a Broadband service, see how to cancel a mobile broadband service.
Here are some important things to consider before you transfer your Virgin Mobile number to another carrier.
Before you request the transfer
Do not cancel your Virgin Mobile service, it needs to be active for the transfer to happen
Transfers can take up to 5 business days (but usually takes around 3 hours).
Once the transfer to your new carrier has completed, your Virgin Mobile service will automatically be cancelled.
We do not charge a porting fee for transfers in or out, but your new provider might.
You will still receive a final invoice with pro-rata charges and a phone payout if you are still under contract.
Prepaid services: Once your service has ported (transferred) to the new carrier you will lose any remaining credit.
Details you will need to provide to your new carrier
To request the transfer of your number to a different carrier, they will need the following details;
Your name and date of birth (your details must match on both accounts)
The mobile number you wish to keep
The carrier you are transferring from
Your account number with your previous carrier if you were Postpaid
How to transfer your number to another carrier
Simply connect a service with the Provider of your choice and let them know you wish to take your existing number from Virgin Mobile. They will do the rest.
Transferring your contacts to your new phone is easier than you think. The actual process will vary from phone to phone so follow the appropriate guide below.
iPhone to iPhone via iCloud
1. On your old iPhone go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
2. Turn on iCloud Backup.
3. Tap Back Up Now.
4. Wait until the backup finishes. This can take sometime depending on how much data needs to be transferred and how fast your internet connection is.
5. When the backup finishes, turn on your new iPhone, f ollow the prompts on screen to setup the language, location services and WiFi.
6. When prompted select Choose Restore from iCloud Backup. Tap Next.
7. Enter your Apple ID and password.
8. Choose the backup of your old iPhone and tap Restore.
iPhone to iPhone via iTunes
1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes, also make sure your old iPhone has the latest iOS installed.
2. Connect your old iPhone to your computer, open iTunes and select backup.
3.Once the backup has completed, unplug your old iPhone.
4. Turn on your new iPhone and f ollow the prompts on screen to setup the language, location services and WiFi.
5. When prompted, select Restore from iTunes Backup.
6. Connect your new iPhone to your computer.
7. iTunes will ask you to restore from backup or set up as new. Select the backup of your old iPhone and click Continue.
8. When the restore finishes, your device will restart and your contacts as well as any other content you have chosen will be available on the new iPhone.
9. For further assistance we recommend visiting Apple's support page.
Android to Android
Your contacts automatically sync when you first turn on your new phone and login to your Google account.
If you do not have a Google account, create one. Then on your old phone go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account. Once added your phone contacts will automatically sync to your Google account.
iPhone to Android
Use iTunes to sync your contacts to your Google account.
1. Open iTunes on your computer.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer.
3. Your iPhone will appear in iTunes. Click on the iPhone to open the device’s summary page
4. Click the Info tab.
4. Place a checkmark beside “Sync Contacts With” and select “Google Contacts” from the drop-down menu.
5. Input your Google account and password, if you haven’t done so yet previously. Or, you can click Configure to change a previously set Google account.
6. Click Apply. iTunes will then sync the existing contacts from your iPhone to your Google account.
7. If you haven’t registered your Google account on your Android phone yet, add your Google account in Settings > Accounts.
8. Allow your Google account to sync your contacts to your Android phone.
Android to iPhone via Google/Gmail Account
1. Ensure your Android phone is synced with your Google/Gmail account. If you have not done this before, on your Android phone go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account. Once added your phone contacts will automatically sync to your Google account.
2. On your iPhone tap Settings.
3. Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars and add your Gmail account.
4. Toggle the Contacts option to On. You should now find that all of your Google contacts are in your iPhone.
Provided your Android phone and new iPhone take the same sized SIM card then you can just swap SIMs.
1. Transfer the contacts on your Android phone to the SIM card (not all phones will have this option, refer to your phones manual to see if this is possible).
2. Insert the SIM card into your new iPhone.
3. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Import SIM Contacts.
To transfer contacts on phones not listed above, please refer to the manufacturer's guide.
Want to keep your mobile number? Read on to find out how to transfer your number over to Virgin Mobile.
Before you request the transfer
Make sure the number you want to transfer is active. We cannot complete a transfer if the number has been cancelled.
Transfers can take up to 3 business days (but usually takes around 3 hours) if on the same network.
Once the transfer to Virgin Mobile is complete, your old service will be automatically cancelled.
We don't charge you for transferring the number, but your old provider might, so you should check with them.
Details you will need to provide
To request the transfer of your number from a different carrier, we'll need the following details;
Your name and date of birth (your details must match those on your previous account).
The mobile number you wish to keep.
The carrier you are transferring from.
Your account number with your previous carrier if you were Postpaid.
How to transfer your mobile number
1. Activate your Virgin Mobile SIM
2. Log in to My Account
3. Click on Manage Service in the left menu
4. Click More
5. Select 'Transfer Number'
6. Enter details about the mobile number you want to transfer
7. Read and accept the Fine Print
8. Confirm the Virgin Mobile mobile number you wish to replace
9. Enter the preferred transfer date
10. Click 'Request Transfer'
Having issues submitting a request?
Contact us and let us take care of the number transfer for you!
Keep up to date with the latest Android mobile software updates, view info on upcoming versions and know when we expect them to be available in one article!
We'll update this page when we have new info to add; this could be when we’ve received the software update from the manufacturer or when we’re expecting to complete testing & approve the update.
Once a software update has been approved by us, the manufacturer will release it through their normal processes. Generally the update is available to download within 1-2 weeks after we've approved it.
Testing: We're testing the software to make sure it works on our network.
Testing Finished: We've completed testing and approved the software, now awaiting release by the manufacturer via their standard process.
Available for download: Yay! The manufacturer has released the software. You'll receive a notification on your phone when it's available for you to download. Software releases are often staggered so you might not be able to download it straight away. Prior to updating the software, make sure to back up your data.
Android Software Updates
Current Software Version
Next Software Version
Galaxy S3 4G
Galaxy S6 Edge
Galaxy S6 Edge+
Galaxy S7 Edge
Galaxy Note 2
Galaxy Note 3
Galaxy Note 4
Galaxy Note 5
Galaxy Note 8
Galaxy Young 2
Xperia Z5 Premium
Last updated 1st May 2018
Entering your mobile phone's PIN code 3 times incorrectly will lock your phone and you will need to enter a PUK Code to unlock it.
About the PUK Code
A PUK code is a security feature used to stop unauthorised access to your SIM card.
If you enter your PUK Code 7 times incorrectly , your SIM will stop working. If this happens to your Virgin Mobile SIM card you will need to arrange a replacement SIM.
Retrieve PUK via My Account
Log in to My Account
On the left menu click Manage Service
Select PUK code
The PUK code for each service on your account will be displayed
Retrieve PUK via IVR
Dial 1300 555 100 from your Virgin Mobile and go through the IVR prompts to access the self-service menu and retrieve your PUK.